Today’s world is a digital one. People are always connected and look for the most convenient ways to complete everyday tasks. The rise of mobile has made it easier than ever for consumers to find information and transact with businesses from anywhere. Small businesses must meet their customers where they are if they want to thrive in today’s market. In this blog post, we will explore how mobile apps can revolutionize your small business, including tips on things you should think about before creating an app, examples of successful apps, and a checklist to get started!
What Is a Mobile App
An app, short for “application,” is a software program designed to run on a computer or mobile device. Apps run on a wide variety of devices, including computer systems, smartphones, tablet computers, and other handheld devices. Apps can be stand-alone programs or serve as software extensions of a software product such as a web browser or word processor. Many apps are available for free, while others charge a fee. Apps are a great solution for SMBs to engage their customers and increase sales via mobile. Apps can help you create a more personalized experience for your customers, which can lead to more frequent use of your services and higher customer retention. With apps, you can create personalized and interactive content that is tailored to each user’s preferences and interests. Mobile apps also enable you to offer real-time services and connect with customers through push notifications and live chat.
The Benefits of Having a Mobile App
- Improved Customer Experience: Customers expect personalized experiences that are customized to their needs and wants. An app is a great way to meet this need. With an app, you can offer content and services that are relevant to each user. You can offer personalized deals and content based on individual customer preferences, as well as allow customers to track orders, access a rewards program, and provide feedback directly from the app.
- Better Brand Recognition: A mobile app can help you build and strengthen your brand. With an app, you can create a more recognizable brand image, as well as provide information about your company and mission statement. Customers can easily access your app and learn about your business, increasing brand recognition.
- Increased Customer Engagement: Mobile apps can help you engage customers and increase customer loyalty. With real-time engagement opportunities, such as live chat, push notifications, and location-based services, customers can get the help they need quickly and conveniently. Furthermore, customers can access and use your services from anywhere, increasing engagement.
- Increased Productivity: A mobile app can help you increase productivity, leading to a higher profit margin. With an app, you can provide employees with real-time access to business information and data. This enables employees to work more efficiently and make better decisions.
Why Haven’t All Small Businesses Created Apps Yet
Mobile adoption is accelerating and growing at an overwhelming pace. According to a study by Pew Research Center, in 2018, 91% of Americans owned a smartphone. Additionally, by 2020, it’s predicted that mobile commerce will reach $100 billion, and 87% of mobile shoppers will use their phones to make purchases. This is why it is important for small businesses to catch up and create engaging mobile apps. The challenge is that creating an app can be difficult and expensive. It can take several months to build an app from scratch and hire a developer. If you don’t have the budget, the expertise, or the time, then finding a development partner can be a challenge. That is why many small businesses are opting to use a mobile app creation platform. This way, they can quickly create an app and skip the costly app development process.
Which Mobile Platform Is Best for Your Small Business
Now that you know the benefits of having a mobile app, it’s time to decide which platform is best for your small business. There are three major mobile app platforms: iOS, Android, and Windows. You will need to decide which platform is best for your business. Each platform has its pros and cons, so it is essential that you make an informed decision. Here is a breakdown of each platform.
- iOS: With more than 1 billion devices in use, iOS is the most robust platform for mobile apps. It’s also the most lucrative: 85% of downloaded apps are iOS apps. While Android is more widely used, it is more difficult to monetize. With iOS, you can create apps that are customized and tailored to your customers’ needs.
- Android: Android has the largest installed user base in the world, with an estimated 2 billion active users. It is also the most widely used mobile platform in the world. This makes Android a great platform for reaching customers.
- Windows: The Windows OS has been steadily growing since Windows 8 was released a few years ago. This platform has a lot of potential and is a great choice for businesses with a global audience.
Things to Think About Before Creating an App
- Target Market: First and foremost, you need to define your target market. Without a clear understanding of who your app will appeal, you won’t be able to create the right product. Try to identify commonalities among your customers to determine the best group to focus on.
- App Type: Once you’ve defined your target market, you need to decide what type of app to create. There are three basic app types: Productivity, utility, and entertainment. Productivity apps help users perform tasks, like scheduling appointments or creating to-do lists. Utility apps, like dictionaries or calculators, provide information. Entertainment apps, like games or social media apps, help users pass the time. First, decide which type of app you want to create and then you can decide what features it will include.
- App Pricing: You also need to decide how much you want to charge for your app. This can vary based on app type. Productivity apps typically cost around $2, while entertainment apps range from $1 – $5. Utility apps can be free or charge a fee, but $2 – $5 is a common price range.
3 Examples of Successful Apps by Small Businesses
- Starbucks: Starbucks has been using mobile apps for many years. Today more than 55% of its transactions are completed through mobile devices, making it one of the highest-grossing apps in the world. The Starbucks app allows you to pay for purchases and earn rewards, redeem coupons, and access special offers.
- Amazon: Amazon’s app has made it incredibly easy to shop online. With 1.5 million products available for purchase through the app, you can have items delivered right to your door. You can also use the app to track packages or voice shops if you’re short on time or have trouble seeing.
- Airbnb: Airbnb revolutionized the travel industry with its app. With the app, you can easily find a place to stay and communicate with hosts directly. You can also book reservations and earn rewards through the app.
Checklist: Get Started On Your Mobile App!
Know your target market and decide what type of app you want to create. Find a development partner and decide which platform is best for your business. Define how much you want to charge for the app. Decide how you want to monetize the app, either through in-app purchases or ads. Create an app strategy, including deciding which features to include in your app and creating a roadmap. Hire a designer and developer to build your app. Now that you know the benefits of having a mobile app and which platform is best for your business, it’s time to create your very own app. Using this guide, you can decide which type of app to create, find a development partner, create an app strategy, and get your app built.
So if you are running a business which is small in nature, you should go for a mobile app development as soon as possible. It will allow you to grow faster and it will foster better results for you and you will also be able to see the results on a rapid basis!